Sunday, July 18, 2010

Banana Split Ice Cream Cake

Can we say "YUMMY SUMMER TREAT"? I saw this in Family Fun Magazine, August 2010 issue, page 80- in case you get the magazine. ☻ Family Fun magazine is one of my favorites. Since we had everything on hand to make this- I had to try it! It s pretty and delicious! It might look like a lot of work but really isn't. It just takes time sitting in the freezer, so just plan ahead if you want to make it. ☻ This is also a great recipe to have your kids help you make.

Here is the recipe (with my changes- how I made it- if you want the actual exact recipe- pick up the current issue of Family Fun Magazine. I did the chocolate mixture differently, since I did not have all the ingredients- and it was still really good!)

Banana Split Ice Cream Cake
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (I use my mini food chopper)
1/4 cup butter or marg.-melted
4-5 bananas
1 1/2 quarts strawberry ice cream (we used left over homemade strawberry ice cream!)
3/4 of a small can of sweetened condensed milk (I used the fat free variety)
1 cup chocolate chips
1- 8 oz. container cool whip (I used fat free variety)

Combine graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 melted margarine. Press into a 9 by 13 glass pan.Slice bananas on top as shown. Chill in freezer for 1/2-1 hour at least. While that is chillin', soften your strawberry ice cream on the counter.



Next spread your softened ice cream all over the top of the bananas.



Chill for at least an hour. I did this part before my church meetings, and finished the last steps afterwards.

For the last step- (the actual recipe calls for evaporated milk and powdered sugar but I did not have that.) So I used sweetened condensed milk for this next step.
Put your 1 cup of chocolate chips and 3/4 can of sweetened condensed milk in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Stir well. Return to the microwave for about 30 seconds or until the chocolate is melted. Every microwave is different - so watch it carefully!
Spread this layer on top of the ice cream layer and return to the freezer for about an hour.
Last, spread a 8 oz. container of cool whip all over the top.

Top with the reserved graham cracker crumb mixture. Chill in freezer until ready to serve!
Enjoy!

post signature

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks fantastic! I'm sure the homemade ice cream made it even better! Clearly, I need to subscribe to Family Fun magazine.
Thanks for sharing!!

Alison Gibbs said...

Mmmm that looks so yummy
Alison

Ess said...

I've been debating a diet......this will HAVE to be made before I can commit. hahaha. Yummy!

TrishAnderson said...

That is making my mouth water....